Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Mama, Come Feed Me!!

Late yesterday afternoon while grilling our chicken for dinner, I kept hearing these shrill cries. Finally went to see what it was. There were two juvenile red-tailed hawks sitting on the cross arms of the power pole!!


I was wondering why all the birds in the yard didn't seem to pay them much attention. I called my birdlady friend and she told me that the other birds had figured out real quick that they were juveniles and weren't adept at hunting yet, so they weren't too afraid of them. In fact, after a while a bluejay started harassing them and finally both flew away, still calling loudly for mom to come feed them. Birdlady says at this time of year, they've fledged from the nest but mom still feeds them some, but that will wind up by the end of July. Then, this morning, heard one again and it was sitting upon the pole!!

There are tons of birds in my yard these days. Bluejays, cardinals, doves, red-bellied woodpeckers, chickadees, sparrows, brown thrashers, finches (house or purple - I'm always getting those mixed up), bluebirds, and mockingbirds. I've probably forgotten some of the regulars, too. Oh, I forgot the titmice!!! Occasionally there's downy woodpeckers and hairy woodpeckers, too. Sometimes at night we can hear the barred owls calling. And let's not forget those little gray squirrels!!! They sure don't forget us or the tasty "bird feed" we put out there. They eat far more of than the birds ever think about eating!!! And the finches are the only ones enjoying the hummingbird feeder right now!

Well, that picture didn't work well. It's too small to see the labels on the kinds of birds there. But there are 2 doves, a bluejay, male and female cardinal, and a brown thrasher all in that picture.

I love to watch all the activity. I grab my binoculars regularly to get a closer look at whatever is moving around out there. It is not uncommon to see 5 to 8 birds at one time around and under the feeder. I've just been watching juvenile cardinals begging for food from the male and female cardinals. Missed the begging by a millisecond!!! Darn -- but you can see the male flying away immediately after the little one was begging.

Right now, there are three juveniles tagging along with mom on the ground. Looks strange because they are nearly as big as she. The juvenile males are a mottled mess of brown and red right now -- funny looking. It's times like this that I wish I had a bird cam. It is unbelievable how much activity is taking place!!!

Did you figure out that I love birds????

No comments:

Post a Comment