Saturday, March 21, 2020

Where does the time go?

Where in the heck does time to?  Anyway, on to more of our travels way back in January.  Who knew?   Anyway, one of our outings as a family group was to the Boyce Thompson Arboretum.  We arrived in late morning which is not the best time but it took us a bit over an hour to drive there. 

Anyway, we all split off and went our own way along the numerous trails.  The arboretum has distinct groups showing desert habitat from all over the world with plants indigenous to those areas.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to which country the areas represented although I probably should have.  There were some very interesting cacti from all over the world, of course.

I though I would never forget the name of this tree because it was so unique but I guess my memory isn't what it used to be. 
Boojum tree 

They were so different. 
The bark was smooth and very pale.  

I am a birder.  Therefore I was as interested in any new birds that I might see as in the plants.  The Anna's hummingbird was gorgeous and there were several of them feeding and flying around feeders hung in the trees. 

After a nice walk, we all reconvened at the picnic area for lunch which the kids had provided.  Wonderful stuff.  We then all headed out again on other walks.  By this time, it was getting warm out and we were happy to return to the car and head home. 

I highly recommend a visit to this place if you are ever in the Phoenix area.  It is east of the metro area near a little town of Superior, Arizona.  There is lots of shade and places to sit and take it all in or rest.  There's lots of info about it at the website above. 

Y'all take care and be safe during these interesting times.  




  

5 comments:

  1. How lovely, and your hummingbird is beautiful - nothing like that over here.

    Are you still be able to visit places like this? Stay safe my dear, we are in unchartered water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely, peaceful place. Will make note of this. We were going to AZ in April, which of course has been postponed. So when we are able to reschedule a trip, this will be on the list. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just been introduced to the desert landscape in the last couple of years. I find it so beautiful! The plants are so unique and interesting, aren't they? I like the photos that you have included---very cool. Especially the bird.

    Sounds like a great day with family and nature. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tour, beautiful pictures! Well now you know I want to know the name of that tree... haven't seen one like it! -

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this may be a first! This is one of your posts about a place I have been - a few years ago, but I did see hummingbirds! I spent a few days in the area before a work conference, and it was the first and (so far) only time I have seen hummers! Thanks for a great memory.

    Hope all is well - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete