Sunday, November 27, 2011

Retreat Treasures

My life has been a whirlwind the past week or so.  My quilting retreat was beyond fabulous.  I don't think I've laughed so much in a few days in my whole life.  I'd turn around and do it again tomorrow if I could.   We sewed, we laughed, we gossiped, we ate (boy! did we eat), we sewed and we laughed some more. 


We had a fashion show that would put the catwalks in Paris to shame.  And, yes, they said we could post their pictures.    The dialogue was priceless.


Our competitive juices got to flowing during the jelly roll race.  Now, I'm not talking about eating jelly rolls, but we probably could have done that too with all the wonderful food served to us.     The race entailed taking strips of fabric called a jelly roll, sewing them end to end and then sewing them edge to edge.  Fold and sew edge to edge again for several more times.  You wind up with a lap sized quilt top.  I think our illustrious winner took a whole 43 minutes or so to make hers.  I came in third because my stinking little scissors wouldn't cut fast enough!!!   Its time for a shopping trip to find some new fabric shears.    And, would you believe I didn't take a picture of my own top?  I guess my reasoning was that since I was taking it home with me, I could get one later.  That's the only thing I can figure out.  Anyway, here's one of the lovely products of our race. 
Lois's Jelly Roll Race quilt top 


We were also treated to a trunk show by some wonderful ladies.  They design quilts and also design and hook wool rugs.  I've been interested in that craft for a while but never had any idea how to access the learning of it.  Now I do!  I really need another expensive hobby don't you think?   


I was totally awed by a true treasure, Ms. Bettye Kimbrell, who demonstrated the art of Cherokee Leaf Pounding.  The artistry she exhibits with her work is outstanding.  I can see some of that in my life also. 




I know some of my fellow thread catchers stop in here and I want every one of you to know just how much I loved spending time with all of you.  And I can't wait until the next time. 


Y'all take care. 





3 comments:

  1. love all the quilts. my favorite is the one with all the fall leaves. i love leaves. just perfect. one of the reason i got married in the fall time of the year. you are so talented. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those quilts are gorgeous! And that fashion show, it made me laugh out loud. Love it! Glad you had so much fun.
    ~FringeGirl

    ReplyDelete
  3. the quilts do look beautiful, especially that fall leaves!

    ReplyDelete