Saturday, January 22, 2011

Notes on Not Much

I don't know where the time goes.  You'd think I had a full time job and a houseful of kids, instead of just being hubby and me!!!   Anyway, I'm glad to be back. 


The quilt for my aunt was delivered to the long arm quilter this week.  She's backed up somewhat, so it'll be a couple of weeks before I get it back.  I think it turned out very well and I hope Aunt Dean will like it. 
The background color in that picture is too dark.  Here's a closeup that shows the true colors.
(Oh, the border hadn't been sewn on at that point, hence the fuzzy edges.)


The quilt is so big that I had to fold it to get it up on the design wall. The top finished up at about 98x110.  The batik that I used for the backing is absolutely gorgeous and will allow it to be fully reversible. 
When I took the top over for quilting, I actually bought the rest of the bolt of this fabric (about 5 yards). Then I spotted the same fabric in a different color scheme (blue/lavender) and just had to have it, along with a couple of coordinating pieces!!! 


I've had several wonderful birding trips lately.  We're continuing the survey in the state forest, of course.   We travel over gravel and dirt roads most of the time and although we do see the occasional vehicle, most of the time its just us.   Most of the time, it's just Birdlady and me, but sometimes another birder or two will join us.  We have to save some of our trips for when our friend is along who has four wheel drive.  You can get stuck in either sand or red clay mud in the forest, depending on the weather!!  This is one of the prettiest stretches of road I've seen.   It was very cold that day, though.  We were all bundled up like crazy until the sun finally broke through in the afternoon.  
That same day we saw a gorgeous fox squirrel.  He is about double the size of our grey squirrels and their colors can vary from nearly white to totally black, to many colors in between.  This is a terrible picture, angle wise, but it will show the beautiful colors. 
 Now, he's facing me head on so it's hard to see the details, but his ears and nose have white tips.  And, of course, that pesky branch is in his face!  When we tried to back up to get a better angle, he ran away.


I've realized of late that my birding skills have improved tremendously over the past year.  My friend, the Birdlady, is so very knowledgeable about birds.  I'm very fortunate to have her as my mentor.  


Y'all take care. 








  

No comments:

Post a Comment