Monday, October 28, 2019

She's Alive

She's alive and well but not so on the ball.  I'm so glad that y'all are hanging in with me. 

It's been a pretty busy time around here, at least for me.  Our guild's biannual quilt show was held September 27-28 and I was kept busy from Tuesday of that week right through Saturday.  I was a worker bee for the quilt intake and judging which took two days.  Then on Thursday I helped transport the quilts to the show venue and work on setup.  The show started on Friday.  I worked admissions on Saturday and then helped some with takedown.  It was a busy week. 

I entered three quilts and one of them won a second place ribbon in its class. 
Picture doesn't do it justice but the colors are so vivid.  Working with all those aboriginal prints and colors at one time was a real step outside my comfort zone.  It's a big quilt so the top is folded over the hanger rod.    The second quilt is all hand applique.  I machine stitched the blocks together of course. 
Across the Wide Missouri
I started the quilt several years ago and used it as my means to learn how to do needle turn applique.  Just let me say that it was a journey that I'm still traveling.  This quilt was not judged, just displayed.  

Then, four days after the show ended, I headed over to Smith Lake near Cullman, Alabama for a quilting retreat.  Ladies come from several states for this retreat and I haven't missed one since the retreat began in late 2010 or early 2011.  Can't remember.  At any rate, it was 4 1/2 days of fun and sewing.  The only picture I took was of the quilt top that I made while there.  
Again, the picture doesn't do the colors justice.  The tan is much richer than it shows here.   I arrived back home on October 6. 

On October 11 I drove down to Jekyll Island, Georgia to attend the Georgia Ornothological Society's meeting and do some coastal birding.  I had never been to the Georgia coast so it was interesting to compare it to the other coastal birding I've done along the Gulf coast.  

We had a good turnout for the event and several days of birding.  I had met a few of the attendees at an earlier meeting but didn't really know anyone there.  The one fellow I knew who had planned to attend had to drop out at the last minute so I just headed on out by myself.   Our banquet speaker was Kenn Kaufman and he was a delight to be around.  The event was held at Villas by the Sea.  I drove back home on Monday, October 14, after a short outing to Harris Neck National Wildlife Refuge.  

All this activity and traveling simply wore me out!  I was one tired puppy at that point and spent the next several days just resting up.  I had no ambition to do much of anything.    At this point I've had a couple of weeks of recovery but I'm off again on Wednesday for another adventure.  That'll be for another day. 

Thank you again for sticking with me.  I do appreciate it.  Y'all take care. 



7 comments:

  1. Yipee - you're back, so lovely to "see" you again. Congrats on the quilt ribbon, the colours are wonderful.

    Love your current header photo - if you tell me that is the view from your yard I might pout and leave your blog in a fit of pure out and out jealousy. 🤡

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, dear girl, that's not my yard! But it is one of the lovely lakes nearby where we go searching for ducks and other birds. Also there's a red headed woodpecker colony nearby too.

      Delete
  2. Yay! Sounds like you've been really busy with a lot of fun things. Thanks for checking in, though. I always hope folks won't fade into the internet sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good lord! You have been a VERY busy lady!! You must be exhausted...but happy.

    First--that quilt...those quilts are amazing! Congrats on the placing and finishing the hand-turned applique. I do hand work, so I appreciate the amount of time and effort into that one.

    The show sounds incredible..but BUSY! Gotta rest up for next year's show. :)

    Hey...a blogging friend's daughter just had a wedding on Jekyll Island. Oh my...it was lovely from what I could see from the photos. They were lucky and dodged the oncoming hurricane, thank goodness.

    Rest easy, dear friend. You certainly deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd be exhausting from all that going and doing; I'm such a homebody at heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love quilts! It takes real talent and much patience to create them, you are better than me! Your header is beautiful - what a serene place...

    ReplyDelete
  6. These quilts amaze me - I would never be able to sit still long enough to make even 1/10 of one!!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete