Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Quilts Full of Love

Since I'm behind times anyway, I might as well just carry on. 

In addition to the birding trip in April, I also had my semi-annual quilting retreat.  I was the coordinator for this one and there was a learning curve.  I think I've about got it figured out now.  


Just after our last retreat, we decided that the two ladies in the group who are veterans needed their own Quilt of Valor.  The owner of our retreat center, Elizabeth Mathews, is the Alabama coordinator for Quilts of Valor.  So, all sneaky like the word went out for blocks.  They were collected and put together by two different members of our group and were presented to Sara and Char at our retreat.  Boy, did we pull a good one on them. 

Sara's Quilt of Valor


Char's Quilt of Valor
These ladies never suspected a thing beforehand.  

In addition to these two special quilts, another quilt was presented to one of our girls who lost her husband back in February.  The call was put out on our online forum (not just our retreat group) and over 80 blocks were hurriedly made and sent to Char who put it together and quilted it.  Then she came over to present our gift to Margot. 

Margot's quilt 
By the time all three quilts were presented, there wasn't a dry eye in the building!!!   We love these girls so much.  

Aw, heck, I might as well go on and tell it.  In addition to Margot losing her husband in February, another local quilty friend Nancy lost her husband on March 20.  Then, to top it off, yet another local  friend Winnie (who is also a friend of Nancy) lost her husband suddenly on April 12.  She was working at the quilt show when he had a massive heart attack.  All that would be bad enough, but then I lost one of my favorite aunts on April 26.  All those losses together in so short a time just about did me in.  I still don't think the loss of my aunt has really sunk in just yet.  I know that these events have surely gotten my husband's and my attention. 


Here's my Aunt Dean and the king sized quilt I made for her three years ago.  These were the colors she wanted (batiks)and she was thrilled when I gave it to her.  She used it on her king sized bed all the time. 



I guess what I've had reaffirmed for me is that we should never take a day for granted.  We should cherish each one of them and cherish our friends and family.  

Okay, enough for now. 


Y'all take care.  


11 comments:

  1. You ladies are jewels!
    My, so many losses in such a short time span.
    That's rough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts! So many losses....that had to be hard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Losses are always very difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry about all of your losses. I had several this year myself. It's got to get better. All of those quilts are beautiful.

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad she had those years to enjoy her quilt. And you are so right...take nothing for granted. Sorry for your losses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lets hope the quilt community can help everybody deal with these difficult times.

    I have no idea how people have the patience to make those rather splendid quilts.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful quilt for our aunt. Too many passings! A good reminder to enjoy that which is right in front of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Never take a day for granted." Very wise words indeed. And the quilts are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks for commenting on my blog....I was thinking about you and wondering if all was ok!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Cindy Bee -- Yes, I'm fine. Lots going on. Thanks for being cerned.

      Delete
  10. You are all such kind women to put yourselves out for so many of your members. I know what it's like losing your dear ones. I lost my sister, my rock one year and my husband last year, only 16 months apart. Wish I had had friends like you.
    To answer your question, farming in South Australia is like farming in the driest part of California. Our simmers are hot, dry killers. One in 11 years we used to get one with enough rain. Now, with global warming tightening it's grip, our ams have not washed out their accumulated salt content since 1995. We are crossing our fingers that we get enough rain this winter.

    ReplyDelete