Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Yard Work and Stuff

This is one of those days when you can't sit inside.  I mean, the sun is shining, there's the tiniest of breezes and its about 70 degrees outside.  The yard calls.   Hubby helped and we trimmed up some plants and shrubs that had been neglected.    My fatsia bush has been overtaken by sooty mold and was looking quite ragged, thanks to old age and disease.  I whacked it down to the ground where new shoots are already appearing.  I also thinned out the ragged cast iron plants next to it.  Now, I have to treat both areas with some kind of horticultural oil in hopes of killing whatever is attracting the mold.
The fatsia is the big plant right behind the tree.  Didn't look like that now, though.  This picture is from May 2010.   I love those plants.  The stand up to our heat and humidity well and to our cold weather, too.  Although I think the extra cold we had this winter helped speed along its demise.  But, the thing is about 13 years old, so I'm not complaining.  And the little ones are sprouting up already.    I'd recommend both the fatsia and the cast iron plant because they thrive on neglect and in shade.   Once a year or so, I'll do a clean up and throw a handful of fertilizer of some kind on them and forget about them.  My kind of gardening.   

We're trying to empty out the garden house and use up the bits and pieces, but I ran out of fertilizer, so had to make a dash out to get some more so I could finish feeding all the plants outside.   I am so lazy.  Shoulda put out some kind of organic compost during the winter but didn't do it.  I have access to free horse manure and I'd bet he'd even haul it down here, provided I took a truck load.  But then, what the heck am I gonna do with a truck load of manure?!?!?   (Oh, he's my brother, so he could be called on for that kinda thing.)  I don't know if he still has these two horses or not.  You know how horse traders are.   But, he'll have horses till his dying day. His wife, too.  

The oak leaves are falling like rain.  We've already raked the west side of the yard about four times and it may need another one to finish them off.  The trees don't lose their leaves at the same pace, so we're raking leaves in the spring for a good two or three months.   I sure hope the oak blossoms hurry up and finish doing their thing.  Hubby has a real problem with them.  He's wearing a surgical mask for the first time this year and it is really helping.  

I have absolutely no pictures to fit in here but what the heck.  Here's an oldie that I like. 
This child (oldest granddaughter) is now a freshman in college!!

Y'all take care and I hope spring gets to your house real soon if it hasn't shown up already!!

9 comments:

  1. I love that photo of you and your daughter! Seems like yesterday we could hold them in our arms like that, doesn't it? I miss that.

    I can't wait to have my garden come up. I always like to see what has thrived...what's died. I don't mind when something dies--that just gives me room to try something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin, it does seem like yesterday. She's my oldest granddaughter (stepson's child). That was a really good visit.

      Delete
  2. Ah yes, the yard is awaiting us too. But it's too chilly here for me. Only 14 degrees this morning. I really like the photo of you and your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I came home from Florida last week, I came home to snow! Kept my flip flops on anyway dammittohell!!!!! The weather is getting a little better now though. Can't wait to see some flowers. I did take some pictures of the garden center at Lowe's for all my northern friends! I'd share some of that manure with you. And did you have your sale? I love garage sales!

    Cindy Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drooling over your yard pictures - beautiful....
    The closest thing here to color is mud! lol
    (but at least it's NOT SNOW) :-)
    Hugs
    Issy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our spring is threatening to become summer! And I know what you mean about lovely weather beckoning one outside. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Everything looks just lovely, Sue! I like those plants that thrive on neglect, too. They can fill in spaces and free up some time to tend to veggies, flowers and herbs.

    Jackie@SyrupAndBiscuits

    ReplyDelete
  7. The yard looks great......more pics please.....:) Hope the cold snap tonight doesn't hurt anything. The granddaughter pic is so cute! Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Since Bert died my supply of pony poo has pretty much dried up. You are SO fortunate to have a brother with horses. Get a truck load, stack it for six months to break down and your soil will love you forever :}

    Love the first picture of your garden, all that dappled shade is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete