Sunday, August 30, 2020

A Catch Up

 Okay, its time.  All these months of the covid pandemic have taken their toll on all of us.  I know that at times I am frustrated, sad, stressed, lonely and just plain unhappy.  Then at other times it doesn't seem to bother me so much.  My brother and I were talking yesterday and we both agreed that many of us Americans have for way too long had the ability to do as we please when we please.  We have become truly spoiled with having the ability to indulge our wants and whims.  This time of restriction can teach us a valuable lesson.  If our true needs are met (food, shelter, clothing, safety), then all our wants can be adjusted and modified if we will but make the effort. 

I am a quilter.  I have a room full of fabrics, tools, patterns and every other implement that I need or want to indulge my expensive hobby.  Yet, I find myself being unsatisfied at times and at a loss as to how to occupy myself.  Isn't that pathetic?  I'm relatively healthy, have every need met and 99.9% of my wants met, so how can I possibly be unsatisfied?  I just shake my head at myself sometimes.  

Now, on to something more cheerful.  During this period of uncertainty, I cleaned up my sewing room. 


You won't see that cutting table empty like that too often.  Same for the sewing tables. 


See that small lamp on the table.  It has stopped working.  I thought it was the switch so I figured I'd give it a go and see if there was obviously something wrong that I could fix. 


Looks like the base of a lamp, huh?  Way beyond my capabilities because in reality I know zip, nada, zilch about electronics.  I put it back together and then proceeded to do something I know how to do.  I found a used one on dBay just like it and promptly bought it.  Should be here in a day or so.  Nifty, huh?

My husband and I try to go walking several times a week at our local park which is about 30+ acres with the lovely Butternut Creek and Notteley River running through it.  I came across this sight this week and it really caught my fancy. 


Budding engineers had obviously been at work building a rock dam.  Then one obviously had an artistic bent and built that sculpture/cairn.  I swear the top looks like a dancer or angel in movement.  Don't know if you can enlarge enough to tell.  I'm so glad I captured the sight because the next time I was at the park the sculpture was gone and the dam totally rearranged. 

Just another one of those lessons about appreciating what we have when we have it. 

Y'all take care of yourselves.  See you soon.

6 comments:

  1. I agree we are spoiled - I love going places when i want to and I'm finding staying home a bit stressful after all these months. As soon as fall hits and it is no longer so humid I will be back to the trails walking and not just walk in the house on the treadmill - I need to be out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post with some excellent reminders!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the rock work in the stream! Interesting that it changed the next time you saw it. Looks like a wonderful place to walk. Your sewing area looks ready for a project!. Didn't realize lamps were so complicated these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We seem to have the same life for the moment! Like you, we are blessed to have opportunities to be out in parks and nature, walking our dogs, riding our bikes that seems safe and fun. And like you, I have some days that feel very unproductive. The park and stream look refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I have good days/weeks and then bad ones. Sometimes it just GETS to me how much our lives have changed and so much that we can't do anymore. For the most part, quilting, walking, yoga, reading, napping and having my husband working from home is all good...but then I just sort of snap every so often and get really sad or frustrated.

    The rock damn, while cute, is really damaging to the natural flow of the water. I'm sure someone knew that and tried to return the little river back to its natural state.

    Your sewing room is amazing! I'd KILL for a whole room for sewing.

    I'm making progress on the antique quilt! I'm hoping to put on the binding this weekend. Then I have to wash it carefully and hope to restore some of the whiteness again. Will post photos when I'm done.

    ReplyDelete