Monday, December 16, 2019

And Away We Go

Mere days after returning from the Jekyll Island birding trip I headed off to Houston for the International Quilt Festival for the first time.  That's one of the holy grail type events for quilters world over.  My friend and I stayed at the Hotel Icon in downtown Houston.  It is an old bank converted to a hotel and only blocks from Minute Maid Field where the last game of the world series took place the night we arrived.  

I had my first experience of using Uber to get from IAH to the hotel and it was a good experience.  So was the return trip.  Both vehicles were nice and clean and the drivers were very careful. 

As any quilter knows, the Houston show is a humongous vendor mall with a quilt show attached!  Not really, but it does seem that way at times.  We started our visit by heading to the vendors and spent hours working our way up one aisle and down the other, contributing to the economy as we went.  It is amazing to see so many quilting tools and supplies in one place.  It's also a good way to see new products and  how they are used.  As we headed out for the day, we stopped at the parcel desk and had them pack up and ship a box home for us.  Next day we were considerably more restrained and simply took those purchases back with us to the hotel.  Of course, I had stuffed another bag into my suitcase "just in case", you know.  It did come in handy when we were packing up to come home.  I wound up with some of my friend's clothing in the extra space in my suitcase and we split our purchases between our carry on bags.  We began our viewing of the quilts that day as well and returned on Saturday to spend the day looking at quilts.  I truly did enjoy the trip but its one of those things that once done doesn't appeal to me much any more.  We'll see. 
First Place -- Alphabet quilt & quilter


There was an exhibit on endangered species that I adored.  




One of the major displays was Sapphire meaning all things blue.  There were dozens of quilts in blue and white from tiny to huge. 






This pig quilt was totally fascinating due to all the beads and other embellishments that truly make this quilt what it is.  




One of my favorite moments came when we visited the  Material Obsessions booth and met Australian designer Wendy Williams.  I love her patterns and have several.  I'm actually working on one of them right now.  What a treat to see the designers themselves in the booth interacting with the customers rather than someone hired to do it for them.  Wendy, Kathy Doughty and John Doughty were a refreshing treat.  

Needless to say, we walked our legs off every day and returned to the hotel totally beat.  Thankfully our hotel shuttle picked us up and delivered us right back to the hotel door whenever we wanted them.  The next order of business after delivering our packages to our room was a tall glass of wine.  I found and enjoyed a cabernet sauvignon which I believe was called Stonybrook.  I'm still on the trail trying to track it down sufficiently that I can have a local beverage supply house order it for me.  I plan to call the hotel bar and ask since the admin offices haven't responded to my email inquiry.  

Enough for now.  There's more to be shared  soon.   Y'all take care. 


8 comments:

  1. The quilts are remarkable.

    We are in Paris in the middle of a transport strike - without Uber we would have had much more walking to do!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Paris, France

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like no better treat for a quilter than that show! Beautiful quilts. I'm glad you had a good trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, the all-blue quilts together are truly eye-popping. And so are the others. What a grand adventure! I went some years ago, and it is sensory overload. Do share your treasures in an upcoming post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE a blue/white quilt. I have made one myself--all hand-applique and quilted. I would have loved to have seen that display.

    Glad you got to the show. I would love to go one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That first blue and white quilt is my favorite. What a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you enjoyed Houston. I could no more manage the crowds at that show as I could fly to the moon - therefore I do so love it when kind friends like you share! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that pig quilt - the animals look really great!

    Hope you have a great Christmas - Stewart M, Keswick, UK

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are absolutely stunning!!!! so much work, and talent!! Happy 2020!

    ReplyDelete