Saturday, August 10, 2019

My Mountain Life

Good morning, friends.  I've been up to my usual doings here on the hill.  Summer is truly here and we're having our hottest weather of the year.  It's still a lot cooler than a lot of folks so we don't complain too much. 

Hubby has been walking at Meeks Park most every day and I go every other day.  It was a little warm and with the humidity we worked up a good sweat.  It's still a gorgeous place, though.
I took this picture through my sunglasses trying to eliminate the sun's glare on the creek.  Obviously it didn't totally work.  

Tonight there will be a movie night at the park with free snow cones, popcorn and hotdogs.  The movie will be Charlotte's Web. 

I've been  prepping a new needle turn applique project and am just now starting the stitching.  It's a gorgeous pattern and I hope to do it justice.  

Back in April when family members were here, I had a quilt hanger put in the master bedroom.  Right now it has my pig quilt on it because it happened to be the one I grabbed at the time. 
Its about time to change it out for something different. 

I've also canned some green beans that I bought from our friend who has a booth at the farmers' market.  I wound up with 21 pints of green beans.  They are so much better than anything you can buy at the grocery store.  
12 of the 21 pints 

Since tomatoes are at their peak right now, we like to have tomato pie made from local grown tomatoes. 

It was SO good.  We'll have more too. 


We have unfortunately had some visitors we didn't want.  This hornet nest was attached to the bottom of a shelf under the leanto back of our garage.  This one was over 12 inches long from the shelf to the bottom.  It had to go which is sad.  The nests are so gorgeous.  Some folks use the vacant nests as part of their country/ mountain decor.  Normally you see them up in trees.   

Hope everyone is having a good summer.  Y'all take care. 


11 comments:

  1. ooh...the movie in the park sounds like fun! sno-cones??? I'm in!

    love the quilt hanger....be careful with sun on your quilts. all my hand quilts are packed away...i am so afraid of ruining them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lovely post- your quilt looks so nice on the new hanger. Tomato Pie- forgot how much I like it. And the beans look wonderful, too. You did a lot of work, but will enjoy them for quite some time. Those nests are quite beautiful, but not with the resdents there. Enjoy the movie night and snacks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think having a hornets' nest as part of my decor would give me a start every time I saw it! Nope, not for me; I wouldn't want a taxidermy rattlesnake in my house, either. 😳

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Nancy, lovely post. Fun to catch up with what's going on in your part of the world. I really like your pig quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do like that pig quilt! Our version of tomato pie is topped with cubes of bread, rather than a crust. Its a favourite with a roast!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewart, there's only a bottom crust on the tomato pie. The top is actually the topping that is all browned up and wonderful.

      Delete
  6. I make a tomato tart that's similar... LOVE summer tomatoes fresh off the vine. Beautiful area you live in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM to that pie and YIKES to the unwanted visitors!!!...:)jp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JP, somehow your comment got sent over to "Awaiting Moderation" and I missed it. Lovely to have you stop by again.

      Delete
  8. YIKES on the hornets nest. That is a big one and a tad scary for me. Love your pig quilt. I am not a quilter but I have a flip flop one my sis in law made me. I love it. It stays out in the living room all yr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you for stopping in to visit. I'm always glad to have new visitors. Your comment somehow got sent over to "awaiting moderation" and I missed it. Sorry.

      Delete